Here it is.
I know, I know.... I can't believe it either. Blogging is something I never imagined I would do. I always thought it seemed purposeless, a waste of time, self-centered, and too much work. If you're like me, you will read this once and never visit it again. I am awful at reading friends' posts, writing on facebook walls, and replying to emails & texts. (Apparently the age of technology hasn't hit me yet. I'm not disappointed :)) Yet, if you would enjoy a small glimmer of hope in your day, a quick laugh to keep you going, or an uplifting story that shows nothing except how great our God is, this is the place for you.
If you are wondering why on earth Greg and I have begun blogging (because as of a few weeks ago, I think we both figured we had much better things to do with our time), it is from a recently discovered side effect from the disease "Peer Pressure". The side effect is powerful and makes you do things you would not normally do. It causes you to take time out of your normal activities and dwell on specific moments of your day. It forces you to verbalize thoughts, feelings, emotions, and humor. This side effect is dangerous, and can cause lives' around you to tune in to your words. Powerful words. Enlightening words. God-fearing words. "What on EARTH is this horrible side effect?", you may ask.
The answer is this: High Blog Pressure.
To get you up to speed on why we are experiencing High Blog Pressure, I will go back in time to July of 2009. In July, my fiance (then, boyfriend) Greg mentioned he had been having cramping and small spasms in his right leg that lasted for only a few seconds, but occurred every other day or so. We had it checked out, and after a few MRIs and climbing the ladder of important doctors, we were directed to Mayo Clinic in Rochester to look more closely at a spot on the left side of his brain. Over Thanksgiving of 2009, Greg met with doctors at Mayo and found he had a brain tumor.
(Flash back): In 2004, due to a concussion during football season, Greg had an MRI that showed a small spot in the same area as the tumor. The doctors were able to compare his 2004 tumor to the 2009 ones and were able to see how the tumor had grown and progressed to where it is today.
(Flash forward): After graduating in December, Greg, myself, and his family went to Rochester with the intention of removing the tumor. However, after talking with one of the best neurosurgeons in the world, we were told he had some options. Doctors did a biopsy on the tumor, and found it to be a stage 2 Oligoastrocytoma. When the celebrations of Christmas, our engagement, and New Year's had passed, we returned again to Rochester to determine treatment for the tumor. Several doctors with detailed specialties (neurosurgery, neurology, oncology, radiology) each talked about treatment options, and it was decided that Greg would begin radiation and chemotherapy on January 18th that would last for 5 weeks.
It has been so sweet to see the power of God already working and how He has gone before us to prepare so many things that bring comfort to the situation.
1. First of all, staying in Rochester for 5 weeks is not a light expense :) However, he has family that lives there and they have been SO welcoming and accommodating through things. Hence, living is taken care of. (WOW). Such a blessing.
2. Second of all, although a brain tumor isn't generally on the top of the list of things to accomplish in life, Greg's tumor is the one to have if you're going to have one. The tumor has a make up to it called a 1p/19q gene deletion that means it is more responsive to treatment. Praise the Lord :)
3. Third of all (as if the numerical system is not enough :) ha.), because Greg and I both graduated in December, we have no jobs or anything to tie us down. It is such a blessing to be able to be with him in Rochester during a potentially rough transition.
4. The Lord has been so wonderful in providing a network of people and prayer warriors to build a fortress of protection around us. We have felt an incredible peace and calmness that is undeniably from the hand of God due to consistent prayers over the situation and healing & strength for his body.
5. The family we are living with is wonderful. Not only is it great to be able to be part of a family, but they have three great children (11, 8, and 1.5) that are a joy to spend time with and keep us entertained.
Stop me now, I have a love for top ten lists.....
As we begin this journey, we invite you to participate, read, laugh, cry (from laughing), and respond. I cannot promise we will do well at replying to your response, but we will keep you updated through this blog. As friends, family, and acquaintances began to hear the news of what we are about to take on, many people inquired about a blog. I soon realized there would be no way to keep everyone informed (and with the correct facts) unless some sort of mass posting took place. Thus, the birth of the blog.
As we have quickly learned, we encourage you to make today wonderful. Love it, cherish small moments, and avoid catching the Peer Pressure disease; which has shown the overwhelming side effect of High Blog Pressure :)
We are so glad to know you and appreciate prayers for healing & strength more than we can express.
Thank you for all you have done,
Greg & Kerrie
I'm excited to read and keep posted on the happenings of you two! I'll be keeping you in my prayers, especially during the next few weeks as things begin up there in MN!
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys succumbed to the Blog Bug. I'll be reading lots! :) Praying for you both!
ReplyDeleteMara
Kerrie, You and Greg are in my thoughts and prayers. It is so neat to see how you've grown up into a woman of God with such great faith. Will be praying and trusting God with you, and looking forward to seeing how God uses this for His glory!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Sherri
YAY! ;)
ReplyDeleteKerrie, you and Greg are in our prayers! Thank you for sharing how God is walking before you in this!
ReplyDelete