Friday, February 5, 2010

Awesome + Blog = Blawgsome. Put that in the Math books.

We began blogging with the determination to make it blawgsome. I don't know if we have met that standard for you, but it is a work in blogress.

We had the opportunity last week to take Jacob and Emma bowling after they were done with school. After combing through Rochester for bowling alleys that didn't have League Night, we found one. It started out great, with Emma closing out the first frame with a strike!

Even though we don't have a date set, we decided to get a jump on wedding stuff by spending an afternoon filling our wedding registry. Don't be fooled--it takes MUCH longer than expected. Greg got excited, thinking we were done.....he then saw the 6 additional aisles of kitchen stuff we hadn't gone through. Morale was a little low at that point :S

As you see above, we were able to persevere. Ninja style.

The nurses who see Greg everyday for radiation are great. This week they asked if I would like to come back and see what he does everyday. It definitely helped understand the whole process.

1. Greg goes and stands outside the radiation room door for a few minutes until they call his name. A map of the world is provided, in case patients feel the need to brush up on their geography skills.

2. They take him into a room with a door that is 3 feet thick and have him climb on a bed. After strapping his feet together, they put a mask over him that has been molded to fit his face. It has little holes all over, which makes for a good picture when bits and pieces of his beard are sticking out.

3. When he is secure, the nurses leave the room and let the radiation machine go to work. It is similar to a giant upside down "J" and rotates around him to target different areas of the tumor.

4. The nurses go in and adjust the bed a few times, but the whole process is pretty quick. It only lasts 15-20 minutes, AND you get to improve your knowledge of global geography. What a deal! We had no idea radiation would enhance so many life-long skills :) Feel free to quiz Greg's geography next time you talk to him. Asking him the capital of Kazakhstan is a good place to start.

5 comments:

  1. I hope that even after Greg finishes treatment you guys keep blogging, because I think it's hilarious. I wish MY blog was blawgsome, but I'm not sure that it measures up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo glad Greg has great nurses! :)
    p.s. We had similar experiences registering, minus the whole ninja thing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerrie,
    I absolutely love your blog!! You are so funny! We will continue to pray for you guys.
    So, is Greg from Harlan? We have good friends who went to Madrid E. Free until they moved to MN. He (Aaron Smith) is from Harlan and has 3 brothers---Dave, Mark, and Daniel. I don't know if Greg would know any of them.
    So, do you have a wedding date picked out?
    Well, I will leave you alone now. I will enjoy keeping up with your blog! Take care, Barb

    PS Yes, your grandparents were both very special people to us. When we first moved here in 1994 we were in a bible study at their house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogtastic I really enjoyed your blogs. I have lots of stories of Greg and Stefan and lots of pictures. My grandma just email me this information so sorry for the slow response. Greg you are in my prayers. If you want to talk I know what's its like. Feel free to email. Good luck enjoy your pie although no one cooked like Aunt Helen.. Jennifer Legan since it gives my secret agent name :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sending me the address for the Blog, Greg. I have so enjoyed reading it. Kerrie, you are an awesome writer and I hope I get to meet you someday! I'm glad to know more about the treatments. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I know God has great plans for both of you and this is just a short detour in the road. I'll keep reading!! C Burchett

    ReplyDelete